You are here

Minimal Solaris - Alexander Eremin

Subscribe to Minimal Solaris - Alexander Eremin feed
alhazredhttp://www.blogger.com/profile/04819890114311693093noreply@blogger.comBlogger42125
Updated: 1 day 11 hours ago

Building ripgrep on illumos

Tue, 11/06/2018 - 17:57
Last night I tried to build ripgrep (grep on steroids). Of course I used Nexenta, but everything below will work for any illumos distribution. ripgrep is written in Rust and we can get the latest Rust version with pkgin (many thanks to Jonathan Perkin):


$ pkgin search rust
...
rust-1.30.0 =        Safe, concurrent, practical language
...
$ pkgin install rust
$ export PATH=$PATH:/opt/local/bin

Building ripgrep:


$ git clone https://github.com/BurntSushi/ripgrep
$ cd ripgrep
$ cargo build --release
Updating crates.io index

warning: spurious network error (2 tries remaining): no Content-Type header in response; class=Net (12)
warning: spurious network error (1 tries remaining): no Content-Type header in response; class=Net (12)
error: failed to update registry `https://github.com/rust-lang/crates.io-index

Caused by:
failed to fetch `https://github.com/rust-lang/crates.io-index

Caused by:
no Content-Type header in response; class=Net (12)

Bang! If you have such error:  clone crates.io-index git to the .cargo directory in your $HOME:


$ cd ~/.cargo
$ git clone --bare https://github.com/rust-lang/crates.io-index.git

Then create .cargo/config file:


$ cat .cargo/config
[registry]
index = "file:///home/alhazred/.cargo/crates.io-index.git"

Now build will successful:

$ cargo build --release
...
$ ./target/release/rg --version
ripgrep 0.10.0 (rev fb62266620)
-SIMD -AVX (compiled)
+SIMD -AVX (runtime)

Now you can compare the ripgrep speed and performance with usual grep. See Andrew Gallant's Blog for more information. .
Categories: illumos

New v9os iso and repository archive

Wed, 10/31/2018 - 12:39

Well, two years later, I decided to upgrade v9os. As a result, after the noise of the servers under my ear I have a little bad hearing at the moment :). But iso was rebuilt with spring changes from the illumos (unfortunately the system is panicking after later commits, I hope to solve this out later).
Some things were fixed, some components were updated, pkg and caiman were moved to python 2.7. I’ve a more powerful server now and I hope that further updates will be forthcoming in this winter.
Site design was also a bit updated.
Categories: illumos